Based on the GCE specification, this area supports the following learning outcomes:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the functions of protein as a nutrient;
- identify plant, animal and novel sources of protein in the diet;
- compare and contrast plant, animal and novel sources of protein in relation to nutrition, health, versatility and cost;
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the following terms: dispensable and indispensable amino acids, biological value and complementation.
Click below to view a quick guide to Protein video
The resources comprise:
- Estimate protein - Starter Activity: A PowerPoint that challenges students to guess which food is higher in protein. Can be used for other learning, e.g. as a spring board to introduce protein.
- CCEA A Level Practical Task: A series of tasks around protein - self study. Use the 'Protein data graph' template below.
- CCEA A Level Protein Task: Investigating the protein content of foods.
- RNI Calculator template: An Excel document to help calculate protein RNI
- Protein data graph template: An Excel document to capture data for comparison
- Protein video note sheet: A note sheet, to be used with the protein video